SCA Barista Skills (Foundation Level)
Duration: 7 hours (2 sessions)
December 14 / 1PM – 5PM (Online)
December 15 / 1PM – 4PM (On-Campus, Manila)
For information about our campus locations, please click here.
Instructor: Teresa Garcia-Plotkin, Authorized SCA Trainer
Learn the practical skills you need behind the espresso bar: learn how to set your grinder, milk techniques and latte art, health and safety, customer service, and basic business practices.
Foundation Level: 5 Points
The Barista Skills Foundation course allows learners to gain an introductory understanding of the coffee itself as well as foundational skills required to set a grinder, make espressos, foam and texture milk and latte art techniques as per SCA quality standards, while implementing health and safety practices and customer service. Practical learning objectives and activities prepare the learner to conduct key foundational tasks of a barista. A written exam tests theoretical knowledge based on Foundation course learning objectives.
The Coffee Skills Program consists of six different modules: Introduction to Coffee, which is available at one level, and five specialist modules; Barista Skills, Brewing, Green Coffee, Roasting and Sensory Skills.
Each of the specialist modules is available at three different levels, with points attached at every stage. You may choose the modules that fit your interests and needs. Once you have achieved 100 points, you will be awarded the SCA Coffee Skills Diploma.
~ Introduction to Coffee: 10 Points
~ Barista Skills Module
~ Brewing Module
~ Green Coffee Module
~ Roasting Module
~ Sensory Skills Module
~ Foundation Level: 5 Points
~ Intermediate Level: 10 Points
~ Professional Level: 25 Points
- A maximum number of students per class will be set.
- Our classes may include tasting and sharing coffees and it is recommend to have students vaccinated against the Covid-19.
- Presentation of a negative antigen Covid-19 test taken one day prior the student's visit to the campus (fees to be shouldered by the student).
- All students' body temperature will be checked and only those within the normal range will be admitted.
- Students are required to wear protective face masks and shields at all times. May be removed only when taking meals.
- Students should be responsible to inform the school's administration should he/she will have symptoms and should not attend on-site classes.
A full or partial refund or a re-schedule shall be made for classes not taken due to any COVID-19 related reasons.
Teresa Garcia-Plotkin was destined for coffee. After 16 years in the Information Technology sales industry in Singapore, she found herself wondering and wandering about coffee. She even took a part time Barista job in Starbucks Singapore on a short stint. She values education and started taking SCAE courses. After trainings with Mr. Luigi Lupi for her SCA certificates, becoming an in house trainer and Academic Head for BCAA, becoming a Q grader, completing SCA Coffee Diploma—she took her coffee training several notches higher by getting AST certified. She continues her passion and love for coffee thru continuous learning and teaching.